Ernest Fernández Garrido (Sabadell, Barcelona 1977)
Someone told me about my work… “I love your photographs because looking at them is like going out for a city stroll… but without moving”. I consider myself as a self-taught photographer wishing to capture the street energy wherever I go.
I seek a certain self-conciousness in my pictures that recalls a memory, gives us a little knowing smile or simply captures the attention due to a framing element. There’s no prior preparation in any of my pictures, what’s more, some of them are taken while I go for a walk with my younger daughter… even sometimes, knowing me, she covertly points out to me where can I take a good street photograph.
I’ve been passionate about photography since I was a child. I enthusiastically remember the first camera I was given by my parents, a Polaroid Color that is still working nowadays. Later on, an analogic camera became a must in each of my teenager trips, catching memories in every city I was visiting.
Photography has always walked with me, also as a teacher. Over the fifteen years I’ve been working as a primary teacher, I’ve tried to awaken my pupil’s interest on photography, carrying out workshops, visiting expositions, leading them to read and understand pictures or images…
Nowadays my work is focussed on street photography, influenced by documental and social photography. I’m a member of the collective “PHOTOCHANGE PROJECT”, composed of photographers from different Spain locations.
- Setember 2017. Bucarest International Photography Exhibition. “Street Lines” exhibition organized by the photographers group “On Spot Streetphotography”
- December 2017. “Exposition XV Anniversary: Photography contest Vall de Camprodon” (Girona, Catalonia, Spain)
- December 2015. 5th classified “Vall de Camprodón photography contest” (Girona). Flora and faunae category.
- December 2014. 4th classified “Vall de Camprodón photography contest” (Girona). Heritage and society category.
- December 2013. Jury special award. “Vall de Camprodón photography contest” (Girona). Heritage and society category.